When ordering foil cards, it’s important to review the following to avoid delays or unexpected print results.
- Ensure the file is 3.5” x 2”, and is created in CMYK 300 dpi with 1/16 inch (0.0625”) bleeds on all sides.
- Ensure fonts are larger than 8pt, and embed or outline them before exporting. Use sans serif fonts for best results.
- Separate artwork into two files: one is for foil lamination, for which the artwork’s color should be set to 100% black (C0, M0, Y0, K100.) Another file should be in the CMYK color space for artwork that is not foil printed.
- Avoid having artwork underneath the foil areas (i.e. using a mask instead)
- Avoid areas of heavy foil coverage with small/fine (non-foil) text or linework knocked out, as there is a tendency for these to fill in.
- Leave at least a 5mm (approximately 0.20″) foil-free area around the edges. Extending the metallic foil design to the edge of the card creates a high possibility of the foil peeling off.
- Be sure to DELETE any hidden layers that are not intended to print (ie: setup guide layers or other hidden artwork layers) to ensure no risk of them appearing on the final print
- Export all files into PDF format with bleeds.